Friday, November 30, 2007

Beer Season

In years past, I have made a concerted effort to avoid alcoholic beverages except for the extremely rare treat. This off-season I have decided to take a different approach and allow this pleasurable indulgence on regular occasions and not deprive myself. I read an article that JHK and Mrs. Irminger regularly indulge in fine wines and they are some of the fastest on a MTB in the US. This change of tack will, of course, cease once the race season approaches, but until then I will be tipping my classic German beer glass (RAL, thanks for the glassware) with some of the world's finest ales, porters, and stouts.

This evening I am partaking in a Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. I figure the Belgians are some of the fastest riders in the world, so maybe it's in their beer. Even if it's not, Duvel is a delicious ale. Duvel has a classic yellow ale color with crisp bitter flavors and a hint of sweetness. The head rises up from the glass after the initial pour like a slow eruption of viscous lava from a volcano. The head ultimately comes to rest with the appearance of meringue on a lemon pie or perfectly steamed milk destined for a fine cappuccino. In short, this beer lives up to its world renowned reputation. A worthy tip of the glass.



Cheers,

Blue Star

No comments: