Friday, October 26, 2007

For the Love of CX

People at work often ask what my weekends entail during the fall. I say "cyclocross racing" and more often than not the response is "what's that?" I usually try to explain with a comparision to steeple chase, but with bikes. I get some nods, but I know there is not a true understanding there. So, here's a couple of videos to answer the question a bit more definitively.

Lesson 1: Runups and Barriers at high speed.


Lesson 2: Slippery mud while riding road bikes with skinny knobby tires means little traction and staying upright is a challenge.


Lesson 3: Euros are really good at it and they get 20,000 fans at World Cup races. There is even live TV coverage and the national news media cover the events like Americans do with baseball and football. Americans are getting better finishing 2nd at last year's World Championships (both men and women), but I doubt it will ever be as popular as it is in Europe.


In a nutshell, that is how I flog myself in the cold and wet Fall season in the Pacific Northwest. It helps with the bike handling skills and keeps my fitness relatively high so getting ready for mountain bike season doesn't hurt as much come 2008.

Got cowbell?

Blue Star

No comments: