Monday, July 09, 2007

Padden Mountain Pedal

The Padden Mountain Pedal was unique in many ways. First, the pro/open and expert men were started together, but not before a show by several belly dancers for all the spectators and racers to enjoy.



Second, the race start wasn't the usual grid of racers 5 wide and 15 deep. It was a big curved single file line of racers across a baseball field. The chaotic part of it was we were all shooting for the woods 100 yards in the distance and the entrance to the trail was not wider than 10 feet between a tree and a concrete pole. 150 fast bike racers aiming for a hole shot is scary. Add in the fact the promoter offered $100 to the first person through onto the trail made it VERY VERY scary. My goal was to stay upright and not break my bike. With a shout, "GO!", the mania was on and the whole field of pro and expert men charged through the field towards the trail entrance. Many racers crashed. I got stuck mid-pack and had to wait my turn to get into the trail while racers untangled themselves from twisted bikes and bodies heaped at the entrance to the trail. I don't think this was the best way to start a race, but I'm sure it was interesting for the spectators to watch. Maybe it would garner some ESPN coverage if this was the standard protocol. Americans love carnage, right?



Third, I was really fast! After my less than stellar start, I had to play catch up to many riders that were way up the course by the time I got onto the trail. No problem. I was motoring and passing guys at ease. After passing what seemed like 50 guys on the initial climb, I settled into a pace I thought I could hold for the 5 laps. After a while, I stopped seeing expert numbered racers around me and it was only pro/open numbers around me. I even held back a little on the last lap in anticipation of a last lap surge from one of my main competitors that regularly has a strong kick at the end of a race. I never saw him or any other expert guys for that matter. I won! Victory is very sweet, especially when it's been my objective for so long and I've come so close, finishing second on several occasions over the last couple of years. I earned my top spot on the podium (cooler).



Fourth, I won something in the raffle. I've gone years without taking a raffle prize. This winless streak came to end with the announcement of the numbers "0-4-7". I won a sweet set of FSA K-force carbon cranks that have an MSRP for about $500.



All in all a great weekend! A real morale boost going into the Mt. Snow National Championships. In Vermont, I plan on turning my self inside out and leaving everything on the race course. As my high school basketball coach would say before big games, "Pain is temporary, glory of victory is forever!"

Blue Star

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite day watching you race so far (although the Mt. Constitution race might be a tie). That start was incredible (as was the wreck at the gate).

In Law Star