Saturday, January 14, 2006

Know when to say when.



I had 5-6 hours on the schedule today. I was hoping to get my first hundie (100 miles) in for 2006. The weather had other ideas in mind. I hit the road around 11am under overcast skies with some mist in the air. I was thinking not too bad, but the back of my mind was warning that it was a little cold and fairly windy. As I rolled south, the tempo of the rain started to pick up until it was clearly a down pour. My jacket had just received a fresh treatment with Nikwax, so it was keeping the moisture at bay for the most part. My lycra clad legs were getting soaked. My windstopper gloves, start to sop up water like sponges. My booties did likewise. Soon enough, my feet, legs, hands, and head were soaked through. My Tifosi glasses needed wipers so I could see.

The doubts started to creep in my mind whether I could endure another 4 hours in the saddle. Each pedal stroke squished water from my feet. I was still close to Lake Washington, but planned to head east into the mountains. I looked up the road and saw nothing but dark, heavy clouds hanging low in the sky. They were surely dumping their H2o cargo on the foothills to make it up over the mountains.

As I approached my turnout to head up hill, I decided to bag it and head towards home. Just then, the winds picked up, which added further conviction to my decision. On the run home, my hands and lower extremities lost feeling. It started raining so hard, the roads were covered in sheets of water several inches deep. Spray from my wheels was escaping from under the fenders and making sure any dry part of my body became wet.

I finally rolled in the driveway. A little over three hours later with about 50 miles in the legs. I stripped off all my wet layers to reveal swollen feet and hands. I had to get my wedding ring off fast to keep my finger from exploding under the pressure. I hit a hot shower and drained the hot water tank enjoying the steamy warmth.

I didn't quite get the time or miles planned, but sometime mother nature has other ideas. The picture above is near where my planned route was to take me in the mountains. I made the right choice. Just another interesting day in the saddle in the Pacific Northwest.

Go Seahawks!

Blue Star

No comments: