Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cycology

Now that I'm over a week removed from the trip back to Vermont, I've reflected enough on the race to pull a post together. I wasn't nearly as fast as I hoped I would be. My goal was to pull a solid race out of the bag (i.e., top-20) and put on a good show for the large Blue Star support team that was strewn about the course. It didn't happen. I was back of the pack fodder. The course, although dumbed down a bit over year's past, was still a blast to ride and I had fun. But I left the beautiful Green Mountains feeling a bit down, like I suck and questioning my presence in the semi-pro ranks.

The best way to describe my racing is mercurial. Some days I have it, some days I don't. Coach Thomas and I pour over the variables and we just can't seem to figure it out. Maybe it's all about what is between my ears. The "cycology" of bike racing is one of the most misunderstood aspects of sport performance. After returning to Seattle, I took some time to relax and avoided any serious training. I feel recharged and had a great ride on the road bike yesterday. I guess the bottom line is a I love to ride my bike in the woods more than just about anything and I'll keep on doing it (whether I'm fast or not) for as long as I am able.

The Western Wanderer was on the east coast taking stellar pics of the event. Here's a teaser until I post a full lot sometime soon.



Thanks a million to the huge Blue Star cheering section. I couldn't help but crack a smile when I rounded the corner in the woods and the trail erupted with cheer and noise makers. Also, a race can't go by without expressing gratitude to the super-soigneur, SLR. She could support a Tour de France team without skipping a beat. The legs were stale, but I clearly won the best supported racer award.

Thanks for reading,
Blue Star

No comments: