Friday, June 15, 2007

Deer Valley

I'm off to Deer Valley, Utah tomorrow morning first thing. The venue is one of my favorites nestled in the Rocky Mountain's Wasatch Range just 3o some-odd miles from Salt Lake City. The course is really fun and the scenery is stunning. The only problem is that last two years this race has destroyed me physically and mentally because of the jump in altitude going from about 100 feet above sea-level at my house in Seattle to almost 8000 feet on the race course. Last year, I flatted so the suffering wasn't as severe because I was already DFL and did not need to push the pace. If you want to get the perspective of what if feels like racing at altitude as a sea-level resident, go run around the block while breathing through a straw. Maybe this year will be different thanks to CAT.

I race on Sunday morning, which happens to also be Father's Day. I think my Dad will be watching. Hopefully, he can give me some strength and in return I will put on a show for him. Regardless of the outcome, it will be cathartic to be racing my bike in the beautiful outdoors.

I'll post some pics and a race recap upon my return.

Blue Star

No comments: