Sunday, December 11, 2005

Pinning it

Saturday had a CP30 test on the schedule. A CP30 test is an all out effort for 30 minutes during which my Powertap measures my power output, heart rate, cadence, and speed. I do my testing on the trainer so variables such as weather, cars, and road hazards are eliminated. I repeat this test throughout the year to see where my fitness is by comparing the results.

The effort today yielded a less then stellar output. I was hoping for a bigger number given all the miles I have been putting in lately. However, the sub par result wasn't for lack of trying. I pinned it at 190 beats per minute for the full half hour. To put that number in perspective, it is about 95% of my max heart rate of 202 bpm. In short, it really hurt. It took everything I had not to get off the bike at about the 15 minute mark, especially because it was clear that I was not generating much power. Nevertheless, I soldiered on and kept the pedals turning over. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... I guess.

The low number is probably a result of some fatigue from the big miles lately. Also, I just finished the first block of base so I haven't done an intense effort of this duration since September. So, I can't be too discouraged. I just hope the legs come around soon because I have a HUGE block of training coming up.

Off to bed to let the legs repair themselves. The furnass will be fired up.

Blue Star

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rule#1=Mom will always worry about her "favorite" son!
Rule#2=Mom will always worry about her "favorite" son!
Rule#3=Mom will always worry about her "favorite" son!
Guess there's a pattern here.
Make it be there & stay healthy,
love Mom (aka SLR#1)