Friday, November 11, 2005

A Training Update...

Lately, I have been posting on everything but my training so I figured I'd give you an update on my recent workouts and the plan for this off season. I'm just finishing up "Preparation Phase," which is just a lot of running, lifting, and riding all mixed together during the week. Aerobic intensity is relatively low, it's really just a period of time to get mentally and physically ready to start base and max strength weight training. Tomorrow, I start my "Base 1" period. Base 1 focuses on laying the aerobic foundation that I will build upon for the rest of the season. The key to base is lots of miles at low intensity.

My theory is that riding a bike fast is a combination of four elements: (1) strength, (2) speed, (3) stamina, (4) bike handling skills. In other words, I can go faster by either applying more force to the pedals, spinning the pedals at a higher cadence, maintaining speed over longer periods, or being a Jedi master in the singletrack so that I never touch the brakes. One other element is body weight but I'll avoid that one since most think I'm skinny enough.

For strength, I've really been focusing on building strong legs and core in the gym. I'm hoping that more leg strength will translate to some more watts on the bike. I'm doing squats, leg press, leg extensions and curls, calf raises, and a variety of core exercises. The weight workouts cook my legs. No pain, no gain. Since October, I have increased weights on the various leg exercises up to 20%.

I already have good leg speed. So, in the coming months, I will focus on maintaining high cadence riding as I attempt to increase leg strength. I will throw in some pedaling drills occasionally including spin ups and high rev cruise intervals. I don't have a scooter, so I'm not doing any motorpacing like the pros. Plus, I can't really see SLR riding around on the cold, rain on a scooter.

Stamina is built during base. Long, slow endurance building rides for the next two months. Tomorrow, it's 4 hours in the saddle. In December and early January I will build up to several 250+ miles weeks and 15 hours on the bike (good thing Holidays are slow around the office).

Lastly, bike handling. I think I'm a good bike handler. However, this year I decided to do some local cross races to further enhance my skills. I'm hoping riding off road in sloppy conditions on skinny knobbies will improve my feel for the bike. I'll also throw in track stands and other slow speed stuff whenever I can.

Add all that up and maybe, just maybe, next year I'm able to dominate the early season expert races and make the move to semi-pro. We shall see.

Until next time,

Blue Star

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MAKE IT BE THERE!!
love from the other SLR