Monday, December 03, 2007

Project One Speed

This evening I just about wrapped up work on Project One Speed. I converted my Ellsworth Enlightenment into a singlespeed. The cool thing is it cost just a few bills to do it in addition to a couple of parts from the the storage bins in the Blue Star shop. I'm using a Soulcraft Convert tension device and I converted a FC M960 XTR crankset using a Blackspire Mono Veloce ring and Ring God guard. The only thing left to do is dial in the position and cut the steerer tube on the Fox F80RLC fork.

Why singlespeed? Sheldon Brown says, "Many cyclists are rebelling against the excessive complication, fragility and weight of current mountain bikes. More and more cyclists are discovering the joys of simple, one-speed bicycles." Others practice the art of singlespeeding as a way to eschew the norm. See, e.g., Singlespeedoutlaw.com

My reasoning was a bit more practical than merely an aversion to the complexity of the modern bicycle or a form of rebellion. Rather, I wanted a rig that could take the punishing winters that are served up here in the Pacific Northwest. The mud is brutal and it reeks havoc on cog stacks and skinny 9-speed chains. Also, pushing the 32x16 up the Cascade foothills will give me some solid bike-based force workouts to supplement my strength work in the gym.

The beautiful thing about this particular build is the entire bike weighs in at just about 20lbs even with some heavy mud tires. Swap out the tires for some light weight racing rubber, cut the steerer to length, and it will definitely come in under 20.

The rig and the happy mechanic.


The rig up close.


Yep, just one 16 tooth cog back there.


Blue Star

5 comments:

Loc said...

Well done, my friend. Caught up on some of your posts. Never thought I'd say this, but the snow looks beautiful.
Peace out!

Loc

Glenn said...

I caught you through Aaron V. I went SS on my road bike. I have been considering changing out an old hardtail. Not sure I have enough manhood for that.

Blue Star said...

Loc, you love the snow! Remember pushing the Geo into Timberbrooke through 5 foot snow drifts? The good old days!

Glenn, anyone that can take a car bumper and keep riding has plenty of manhood to ride a SS MTB.

Loc said...

Yeah, you see how good of a friend I was? I watched you push the Geo from the warmth of my livingroom. I was saving my energy just in case you needed a break.

Loc said...

Glenn, I don't know you but just wanted to say that taking a car bumper is much more manly than taking the tailpipe. I've been telling Blue Star for years to stay away from the tailpipes. Too much rust and exhaust.

Blue Star, you riding Mt. Snow in July '08?