Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tired Cyclist = No Posts

Sorry for the lack of updates around here. I've been so tired for the last few weeks. I think it correlates with the start of the build phase in my training plan, which includes a plethora of high-intensity intervals throughout the week. Stack hard workouts on top of a heavy work load at the j-o-b and that equals no blog updates.

A few things to report. My first race of the season was on February 12th at South Seatac Park. It went well with a win in my age-group although I was a little disappointed that I didn't get the overall fastest time. I got a real bad start and had to work through the field and that allowed a couple guys to get away. Seatac does not suit my strengths either because it requires lots of big power bursts and I train for putting out long steady efforts in anticipation of the climbing races to come this summer.

The second race of the season did not go as well. The Valentine's Challenge is at Tahuhya State Forest near Belfair, WA. I historically do well at this race and my legs were feeling good. I got the hole shot from the start and built a substantial lead during the early portions of the first lap. Near the end of the first lap in a rooty technical section, a stick kicked up into my cassette at high speed and sheared my derailleur hanger off the frame and bent the derailleur 90 degrees the wrong direction. Needless to say, my day was done and I started the slow walk back to the start/finish area. About two minutes later, the main pack in my category came by. Frustrating.

35 days until Sea Otter. Looking forward to some sun and dry trails.

Until next time (hopefully not two weeks from now),

Blue Star

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FIRST! KLH to my Blue Star!