Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Dash for Cash

On Sunday, SLR and I hopped the ferry over to Whidbey Island for the Dash for Cash race (formerly known as the Whidbey Island Mudder). Sunny skies and dry trails made for a good day to be racing the mountain bike. Lots of racers turned out this weekend, the Expert 30-39 category had 21 guys doing battle.

The race was held on a short, fast course that winds like an intestine on a fairly small piece of private property. The key to doing well is acceleration. Brake, turn 180 degrees, accelerate explosively to hold the wheel of the guy in front of you. Repeat many, many times. There were two short gradual climbs that could be used to crack the whip on some wheel suckers.

My strength as a cyclist is not high end power. Steady efforts are my thing. So, I did my best to follow wheels today. I got a good start and placed myself 3rd going into the singletrack. I jockeyed for that position the rest of the day. I had second in my sight for the first 3 out of 5 laps, but that blue and yellow jersey slowly disappeared out of view. The last lap my legs began to fade from all the power surges. I ended up giving up my third place position as I zig zagged through the intestine one last time. I almost got it back on the climb, but my descending in a fog of fatigue allowed the gap to grow again. I crossed the line comfortably in fourth place in a time of about 1 hour and 25 minutes. My dash for some cash fell one spot short. Nevertheless, I fought the good fight and am happy with 4th place. I realize that I just don't do well on power courses.

This weekend we're off to Corvallis, OR for the Mudslinger. The Mudslinger promises to be more my style of race with a 32 mile course and 4000 feet of climbing. Maybe all that climbing THayes and I did over the winter will be put to good use at this one.

17 days until Sea Otter.

Blue Star

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on, man. I had a great experience at the Dash - being my first MTB race - and walked off with a fine $35. Hopefully I'll see you out there and be packing the punch for Expert sometime soon.

Have fun at the Mudslinger. This weekend I'm headed to the Devil's Slide in Lewiston, ID.