Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tiger Mountain Saturday

The weather this weekend was surprisingly beautiful considering it is February and I've been punished with adverse weather since November. I took advantage and did a solo tour of Tiger Mountain.

I started the day by banging out a high tempo to Poo Poo point to take advantage of the clear skies and catch a nice view of Mt. Baker to the north. Poo Poo is where the paragliders launch to glide down to Issaquah below.



I followed up Poo Poo by heading out to West Tiger and on the way I got some good peak-a-boo views of the Olympics.



Last, I started up towards the main Tiger summit before turning around and heading back to the car. On the descent, I caught a glimpse of Mt. Rainer before it was engulfed in clouds as a low pressure cell moved in.



Back at the trail head, the Garmin registered over 5k feet of climbing in three hours of riding.



A solid day of training. I was definitely feeling the strain of the vertical gain later in the ride.

Blue Star

3 comments:

JV said...

Beautiful mountain photos! I definately need to add that to my itinerary when I finally go to Washington.
How do you like the Edge 305? I thought about it but opted to wait.. partially hoping they come out with a new version with GPS mapping features and a color screen. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Blue Star said...

The Edge is a solid piece of equipment that provides a lot of good training data. The GPS works well even under heavy tree cover. The mapping capabilities are limited, but it does provide a sufficient track to navigate where you came from. Also, you can upload courses into the unit to follow and race against yourself.

All that being said, I would much rather have a Powertap. However, Cycleops has not developed a hub that is disc brake compatible yet. Power is the ultimate training tool.

Anonymous said...

Wanna get together and go hang gliding ? A little risk-taking ? I'm up for it.

In Law Star